Saturday, January 21, 2012

Trinity's Streak Squashed by Yale

The longest winning streak in intercollegiate varsity sports history has ended. The record-setting streak belongs to Trinity College's squash team. The little Connecticut school won 252 straight matches over a fourteen year period. Do you know what that means? This is their first loss this century. Furthermore, Trinity is the thirteen-time national defending champions.

Their first loss since 1998 came when Yale beat them 5-4. After the match, Trinity coach Paul Assaiante said, "I always said that I would be relieved when this streak was over, but I guess I was lying because I don't like this feeling at all. Still, in the end, this was a dual match on the road against the #2 ranked team in the country, and we will hopefully get to play them again in the national championships."

I don't know how many fans were at this exciting match, but they witnessed history in the making. What a model of consistency this program established. I don't know what it is that they did, but they made it happen. It is going to be tough to surpass this streak. Trinity College might be in the record books for a long time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment