Saturday, May 19, 2012

I'll Have Another Wins Another Triple Crown Race

Photo Credit: Matt Slocum/AP Photo
There's just something about horse racing that gets the heart pumping. You cheer on a horse and jockey you had likely never heard of before. I saw myself doing it as I watched the Preakness today. When I sat down to watch the Kentucky Derby less than two weeks ago, I had never heard of I'll Have Another. He was just another racehorse to me. The name Mario Gutierrez didn't ring a bell. He was just another short jockey to me. But then as I watched the Kentucky Derby, I saw Gutierrez masterfully guide his horse through the pack, eventually into the lead, and finally to victory. I gained the desire to know more about the horse, his jockey, and his trainer. I wanted to know their stories. That it what inspired my post-Kentucky Derby post about them. That is the reason I knew that no matter what, I would be cheering for I'll Have Another when it came time for the Preakness.

The day for the Preakness came today. I settled down in my recliner, hoping to see yet another beautifully executed run by Gutierrez and his horse. Today's race began much the same as the Derby with Bodemeister taking a substantial lead early. I'll Have Another stayed with the pack in fourth out of 11-horse field. Round the bend the came and into the straight away. Gutierrez began to make his move. Into second sprinted I'll Have Another, gaining on Bodemeister. Call me a doubter, but I didn't think there was enough time left for I'll Have Another to take the lead. On the edge of my seat, I watched intently as I'll Have Another did take the lead within a hair of the wire to win by a neck.

Now, we know what this means. Triple Crown watch: Kentucky Derby: 1st, Preakness: 1st, Belmont: still to come. I'll Have Another is the most recent to have a shot at the illusive Triple Crown. Of course, no horse has won the coveted honor since Affirmed in 1978. Since then, eleven horses have won the first two legs, but come up short in the Belmont Stakes. Belmont is the longest of the three races at 1 1/2 miles, which has earned it the name, "Test of the Champion." One thing to consider is that Bodemeister's trainer Bob Baffert has announced that his horse will not run at Belmont. With his obvious rival out of the way, buzz is quickly growing around I'll Have Another. People have been waiting decades for this. I know I will be cheering for him come June 9th. There's just something in you that wants to see history accomplished before your eyes. Now all that remains to be seen is if I'll Have Another has another dramatic win for us come June.

Here is a link to a video if you want to see the race yourself: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7950296

No comments:

Post a Comment